Thursday, August 28, 2008

Joining a chrisitan sorority

I make lists, its what I do. In order to make any major decision in my life I have always found it useful to make a Pros and Cons list. So here goes...

Pros for joining the sorority
1. Involvement
2. creating new friendships
3. Fellowship (which is a christian word according to daniel downard) with people who will encourage me positively
4. Being forced by the laws of the sorority to do the things I came to Gainesville wanting to do and things I need to do, i.e. Going to church regularly and Joining a bible study.
5. Meeting Christian guys who hopefully won't end up being complete assholes.
6. Getting to do more things, formals, parties, events, etc.


Cons for joining the sorority
1. money, it is $160 a semester.
2. I am not the 'sorority' kind of girl, am I turning my back on who I really am?
3. I never want to be an uptight, crazy christian. which I am concerned some of the girls are and may influence me to be the same.
4. I am against buying your friends, is that what I would be doing?
5. Taking time away from the friends I already have who love me and I will be pushing aside.
6. Am I a strong enough christian to fellowship with these people?

It seems the part I am most concerned with is changing into someone else, which I will probably do with time anyway. I do hold my values and ideals pretty highly. The whole being a "sorority girl" thing bothers me alot. I guess it will have to be my duty to be who I am and not let something stupid like stereotypes and generalizations change what could be something good for me.
The pros and cons will waver in me until the time comes for me to be a pledge. I hope that I am being true to myself...I don't wanna be a sorority girl, why can't it just be a club?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am totally all for you joining this cult. As if I didn't have enough reasons to mock religion...

Why the hell would you join a Christian sorority? Honestly, your throwing away money for the companionship that a church offers. Not only that, you wouldn't be a "sorority girl," at all. You would just be that creepy person that joins religious social networks. If you need ways to pass the time, take some of the group fitness classes, and join a modern church, but please, for the sake of your self respect...Dont be that girl.